Saturday, May 22, 2010

Egg Rolls (hamburger)


As a person who was a very picky eater growing up and until I was in my 30s, I didn't like traditional egg rolls. I didn't like cooked cabbage in any way, shape or form.


When our kids were younger, my husband's side of the family would all take a vacation and stay at the lake together for about a week. My sister-in-law, Kim (a very good cook), made her egg rolls one night for dinner. As you could imagine, I wasn't thrilled about it. Figured it would be a meal I wouldn't be eating.


I must tell you that they were delicious! The key is the hamburger as the main ingredient, and the other ingredients are shredded or grated. They are so small that you wouldn't know cabbage was in it if you didn't ask.


Egg Rolls

2 lbs hamburger
1/2 head cabbage - shredded
3-4 carrots - shredded/grated
garlic salt - be generous
soy sauce - dump it in
5 green onion - shredded
2-3 pkg egg roll wraps

Cook hamburger until mostly brown, drain. Add next 5 ingredients to hamburger and cook until done. You may need to do a taste test to see if you need more garlic salt or soy sauce.

Fill egg roll wrappers as directed on package, and fry in oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.

Serve with LaChoy Sweet and Sour Sauce.

Makes around 40-50.

Recipe from Kim Whitfield


Notes: If you have a food processor or blender attachment, it's fairly easy to grate your vegetables. Also, with the shredded carrots and shredded cabbage for cole slaw that's readily available now, it's a lot easier than before.

When filling your egg roll wraps (follow directions on package), I usually use a medium Pampered Chef scoop. I believe it measures out to about 2 Tablespoons. Make sure there isn't anything on the outside of your wrap or you will get big splatters while frying. Be careful not to fill too full. This will cause them to break which is bad news during frying.

I try to have at least an inch of oil in the electric skillet or skillet so it will go at least halfway up the egg roll. I usually drain them on 2 paper-towel thickness and then transfer again to a clean paper towel.

Since both segments of making this meal are time-consuming, you can make the filling ahead of time. Reheat the filling before stuffing the egg roll wraps, or the center will be cold.

The leftover egg rolls heat up well in the oven.




No comments:

Post a Comment