Friday, June 4, 2010

No Funk Meatloaf

Meatloaf is scary word. How many of you have seen meatloaf at a church potluck and wondered what those different colored things were in the meat. I never was a huge fan of meatloaf until a lady brought some over in a crock pot when I had my youngest child. It had a lot of flavor and again, it was easy to make. Here goes:

No Funk Meatloaf

1 1/2 lbs ground beef or chuck
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 small onion, chopped or minced onion
ketchup


Mix egg, milk, salt and oats. Allow to soften about 10-15 minutes. Mix with beef. Shape into loaf and place in crock pot. Cook on high 1 hour, then low for 8 hours - or on high 4-5 hours.

Recipe by: Vanda Slaughter Chism

Notes: If your crock pot comes with a rack, use it. Also this meatloaf works best with not too lean of meat (too dry) -- maybe 85/15. If the meat has a high fat content and you don't have a rack, your meatloaf will be laying in the grease. (This does make it very moist though.)

1 comment:

  1. I was in a hurry today when I posted this. (Could you tell?) First, meatloaf is "a" scary word.

    Secondly, I didn't tell you what to do with the ketchup. Spread the ketchup on top of the meatloaf before cooking.

    Again, let me say that I would welcome any comments on my blog regarding your variations to my recipes.

    ReplyDelete