Monday, March 14, 2011

Carrots Au Gratin

When I was younger (under 25), I was a very picky eater. Didn't like many vegetables, just peas, green beans, and corn. I liked carrots but only raw - couldn't stand cooked carrots. Some friends invited our family over for dinner one Sunday afternoon, and among the sides was this version of cooked carrots. I knew I had to try just a little bit. To my surprise, it was very good. This recipe is different, but I love it. Haven't made it too much but always enjoy it when I do. I'm craving them now, so I'll have them Thursday night when we have our "girls" over for American Idol night. Hope you enjoy them.

Carrots Au Gratin

5 Tb. margarine or butter
1/2 cup corn flakes
1/3 cup chopped onion
3 Tb. flour
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 cups sliced cooked carrots (about 3 cans)
1 Tb. dry parsley flakes (optional)

Melt 2 Tb. margarine or butter in saucepan. Remove from heat, add corn flakes. Mix well, set aside.

Melt remaining margarine over low heat. Add onion, cook until tender. Stir in flour and spices. Add milk gradually stirring 'til thick. Add cheese, cook 'til melted. Add carrots and parsley. Pour into 6x7 greased pan (or 2 qt casserole). Spread corn flake mixture on top. Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees or microwave on medium or medium high for 5-10 minutes.

Recipe from: Patrice Cook

Notes: I also didn't like real onion (even cooked) until a few years ago. You can substitute maybe 1/2 Tablespoon of minced onions or even 1/2 tsp onion powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment