Monday, July 12, 2010

Old Settlers Baked Beans

This post is in memory of Norma Ward Jessen, my husband's aunt. She passed from this life very peacefully into the arms of her Saviour on Saturday, July 10, 2010. She was a caring and giving woman and will be greatly missed by a host of friends and family.

Aunt Norma had told me a few years ago of her salvation with a smile on her face. What a comfort we have in knowing that we will see her in Heaven someday if we also have accepted Christ's death on the cross as our payment for our sin. It's so easy to do...just ask.

In honor of Aunt Norma, I'm going to post the only recipe I ever got from her. We had a family get together at their home, and this was one of the things she made for it. I haven't made this -- don't know why not, but I loved it. It's a hefty side dish, for sure.


Old Settlers Baked Beans

Brown and drain the following:
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 lb chopped sliced bacon
1 chopped onion

Add and mix:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
2 Tb mustard
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/3 cup white sugar
1/4 cup barbeque sauce
2 Tb honey (or molasses)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Add and mix:
1 can red kidney beans
1 large can pork & beans
1 can butter beans

Bake in 9x13 pan at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Recipe from: Norma Ward Jessen

Notes: I didn't write down the sizes of the cans she used. I'm assuming the "large" can of pork and beans is the family size can. I think I will make this soon. It's making me hungry, and it's only 8:15 in the morning. After I make it, I will post a comment giving the can sizes.

1 comment:

  1. Vicki, this is so sweet of you to post this. You are so thoughtful. I love you very much!
    Faye (your mother-in-law)

    ReplyDelete