Thursday, December 23, 2010

Rye Party Sandwiches

Whenever we have Christmas at my in-laws, you can guarantee that a few specific finger foods will be there. Rye Party Sandwiches, Sausage Balls, Gala Pecan Spread, homemade beef logs, homemade caramels, spiced peanuts, candied nuts, and peanut butter balls. I'm sure there are more that I am forgetting, but those are the ones we know will be there. This year, my in-laws are preparing to leave for Africa in a few weeks for a 3-month stay. Therefore, they are making the rounds to us kids and bringing peanut butter balls for everyone. Hmmm. I should probably be posting the recipe for the peanut butter balls. (The grandkids associate Christmas at Grandma's with peanut butter balls. She keeps them in her freezer so throughout the day, we see kids raiding her freezer.)

I've been craving the Rye Party Sandwiches for a couple of weeks now (left side of the picture), and they are really good right out of the oven. Don't be afraid to try these if you don't like rye bread. I don't care for rye bread, but the cocktail rye bread is small (2 1/2" x 2 1/2"), thin, and light. You can't tell there's rye in there.

Hope you like these. I think I'll get the filling made today so that all we have to do is warm it up and spread it on the bread -- pop them in the oven, and EAT!


Rye Party Sandwiches

1 lb hot sausage
1 lb regular sausage
1/2 cup finely chopped bell pepper
Fry and drain.

Add to sausage mixture:
1 pound melted Velveeta Cheese
1 Tb. Worchestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. garlic powder.

Heat until thoroughly heated (it's easier to spread). Spread mixture on Cocktail Rye Bread. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes.

Recipe from: Faye Whitfield

Notes: I prefer Jimmy Dean sausage. There's less fat, more flavor. The Cocktail Rye Bread is usually found in the specialty bread section of your grocery store. I was actually able to find it at the Walmart Supercenter this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment